Are you trying to find a simple and efficient means to produce delicious barbecued meats? Even though a normal grill may be used to cook beef, the outcomes can be somewhat hit and miss. If you’re searching for remarkable performance and dependability, it may be time to put money into a counter smoker.
The Best Offset Smoker is best for cooking beef to perfection and including additional flavor. But, there are plenty of different versions to select from, and picking out the ideal product can be quite tricky. Thus, Kingsley‘s reviewed a range of the most well-known alternatives to locate the ideal one for you…
Best Offset Smoker
1. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
The Oklahoma Joe’s Highland is your top offset smoker. We advocate for anybody using a sub $500 budget.
Unlike many cheap offset smokers, Oklahoma Joe’s have utilized heavy-gauge steel for greater heat retention and equilibrium.
The grill grates are porcelain-coated and provide 619 square inches of cooking area in the primary room with an extra 281 square inches from the firebox room you may utilize for grilling.
Should you want more cooking, the identical firm also sells the same Longhorn that includes 751 square inches from the primary chamber.
The Highland provides you the choice to configure it like a reverse stream counter smoker so that the heat from the firebox must travel beneath a baffled flue towards the conclusion before it melts back and forth drafts through the primary cooking chamber.
We will go through why this is a fantastic thing in more detail in the next half of this guide, but for now, all you want to understand is that it helps food cook more evenly and produces a better-tasting product.
- Value for money – The construction quality in the steel utilized into the individual welds and how everything fits together snuggly is far before another budget-priced offset.
- Heat supply – The four baffles do a fantastic job of evening out the warmth using a version of approximately 5 – 15°F throughout the cooking room.
- Firebox grill adds flexibility – It is fine that the Firebox can double as a barbecue or heating rack. However, I’d recommend using this once you have finished cooking in the primary room. Otherwise, the excess oxygen from departing the firebox lid available can create your temperatures to go mad.
- Looks & practicality – We love the traditional expression of this Highland. The big bottom shelf is useful for keeping cooking utensils, and other wood, along with the big wagon-style wheels, make it simple to move.
- Leaks if you do not use a loofah – Affordable and simple to repair, but if you expect it to work perfectly from the box, you may be let down.
- Heat distribution is not ideal – Food closest to the firebox still manages to get cooked quicker because of radiant heat; the warmth plates are too thin to prevent it completely.
2. Yoder Wichita Loaded
Together with 1,600 square inches of cooking space, the Wichita is a fantastic selection for a top of the line yard smoker while performing in contests or for catering bigger occasions.
That is divided up between 2 19.75″x19″ cooking grates from the primary room, the next 14.5″x36.5″ slide-out shelf, and eventually a 19″x18″ Cooking Grate from the firebox.
Contrary to the vast majority of smokers, the Wichita is created in the USA out of 1/4″ pipe and plate steel.
This provides excellent insulation for greater temperature control and even heat distribution.
Yoder has built a solid reputation in the barbecue community due to their craftsmanship.
The smoker weighs in at a hefty 591lbs, even though the huge wagon wheels make it feasible to maneuver.
The loaded version includes two built-in thermometers so that you may ensure that your temperature is not hotter on one side, and the lid includes a counterweight to ensure it is simple to open.
- Build quality – as you’d expect from a top-end counter, all of the 1/4 steel is a heavy responsibility, and the welds are top notch leading to a tight match.
- Slide-out rack – includes a whole lot of additional cooking property and may be eliminated if you’re cooking large items such as a turkey.
- Even temperature from end to end – Yoder includes a smart system to deal with the heat coming from the firebox. The warmth plate has little holes around the endless firebox air gets, then as you get nearer to the far end that the holes get bigger.
- Optional extras – You can decide on a charcoal grate, which permits you to convert the principal cooking room to a complete charcoal pit along with a propane log lighter for easier ignition.
There is nothing to nitpick. It would be fine if it did not cost as much, but considering the construction quality, we can not blame them.
The guarantee is a ridiculous 75 decades.
3. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
If you only wish to smoke, a vertical charcoal smoker would be your thing to do. As Opposed to placing All of Your food outside on a single grate, vertical smokers Permits You to stack grates on top of each other from the unit.
The Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker is a good choice that allows you to smoke a good deal of meat at the same time. With six cooking grates and almost 800 square inches of cooking, this smoker could manage up to 100 lbs of meat. Heavy-duty construction and a good deal of vents permit for great temperature management.
- Heavy Duty
- Low Priced
- Made to lessen heat loss
- Fantastic value for the Money
- Custom-fit pay (sold individually )
4. Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
If you truly wish to receive the best smoke leak potential, you require a reverse flow smoker. Along with the Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse, Flow Smoker is among the best.
The Longhorn has lots of distance -over 1000 square inches of cooking area-also is made of heavy gauge steel for greater heat management. Porcelain-coated grates make for simple cleaning and upkeep.
The baffles, which restrain the opposite flow, may also be eliminated. This lets users cook conventionally.
- 1060 square inches of smoking distance
- 290 square inches of cooking distance from the firebox
- Four baffles control inverse smoking.
- Temperature gauge mounted in the lid.
- Simple to build with strong construction
- Fantastic for novice cooker
- Perfect for big cooking
- The heating compartment demands re-coating
5. Oklahoma Joe’s Combo Offset Smoker
If you’d like a smoker who could do everything, the Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo is a superb selection.
With the capability to operate on both charcoal and propane, this grill can grill and smoke at precisely the same moment. More than 1000 square inches of the cooking area is a lot of space for a massive gathering.
Thick gauge steel makes this grill equally durable and productive. Double temperature indicators make it effortless to track food and its progress.
- 1000 square inches of smoking distance
- Double gas sources provide a lot of flexibility.
- Temperature gauge mounted in grasses.
- The removable charcoal box makes for Simple cleanup.
- Comes with firebox entry door
- Comes with cool-touch handles
- Comes with porcelain-coated cast-iron grates
- Cannot correct the doorways
6. Pit Barrel Cooker Co. 18-1/2 In. Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
Using its simple construction, the Pit Barrel Cooker Co. 18-1/2 in. Traditional Pit Barrel Cooker Package is particularly simple to use. With this powerful model, there’s not any need to control smoke or temperature. Just load up your meals, place the desired temperature, and it’ll look after the rest.
As an additional bonus, this version is also quite simple to wash. Simply lift the charcoal grate and take out the surplus ash. This also will help make starting the flame particularly straightforward.
Among the wonderful things about this design is that you’re treated to some high number of accessories. The kit comprises eight stainless steel hanging hooks in addition to a group of hanging rods. Additionally, two stainless steel grills fit perfectly to the drums.
This helps to compensate for the fact that this version does not have some storage area. If you prefer to maintain your seasonings and condiments near hand, this is very likely to be somewhat inconvenient. However, the Pit Barrel Cooker Co. 18-1/2 in. Traditional Pit Barrel Cooker Package functions as an introduction into the world of countertops smokers.
- Holds a continuous temperature.
- Very simple to use.
- Made from 18-gauge stainless steel.
- Comes with stainless steel hanging hooks and hanging rods.
- Boasts a detachable charcoal grate.
- Doesn’t include storage space.
7. Dyna-Glo Dgo1176bdc-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
With this powerful model, you’re treated with an impressive 784 square inches of cooking area. That is big enough for all those times when you would like to throw a party for friends and loved ones. You’re also treated to 15,000 BTUs of heat to make cooking beef to perfection a cinch.
You’re treated to a collection of grates that may be piled on top of another. This permits you to cook around a hundred pounds of beef at precisely the same moment. This ought to be sufficient to meet the requirements of a large set of hungry carnivores.
The high number of air vents help great temperature management. As a result of this huge strain gauge, you’ll have the ability to see just what’s happening. This is also assisted by appealing and functional double door construction.
Even if you’ve not used an offset smoker earlier, you shouldn’t have any trouble getting to grips with this particular model. The enhanced features this version boasts helps to make it a true pleasure to use. As an additional bonus, the model’s effortlessly cool retro design is guaranteed to meet your inner hipster.
- Boasts an extremely cool layout.
- Double door layout to lessen heat loss.
- Delivers 15,000 BTUs of electricity.
- Made from heavy-duty cast iron.
- Features a heavy gauge steel wood chip box.
- Tends to produce smoke.
8. Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill
Would you want to keep all of your tools near hand when you cook? Needing to constantly come across the kitchen to monitor condiments and other things can be a real nuisance. If you’re busy cooking up a storm, you will wish for everything you need within easy reach.
The Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill comes with different built-in storage and prep spaces. You will find appealing hardwood surfaces on both the front and side of the powerful model. They provide the ideal areas for cutting meat, putting plates, or placing bottles of seasoning.
The exceptional cable rack in the base of this model functions as another storage area. The open layout means you’ll have the ability to find out what is there in one glance. There are loads of room to place burger buns, sauces, seasonings, and a vast assortment of different products.
The ample 580 square inches of cooking space from the smoker is accompanied by 250 square inches from the firebox. This version also comes complete with unique charcoal pills. This makes incorporating the very best lump charcoals and eliminating ash particularly straightforward.
At 146 lbs in weight, the Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill is quite heavy. Luckily, this version also includes big wheels put to the foundation. This helps to create directing it to the desired position, particularly straightforward.
- Comes complete with a side firebox.
- Place with wheels for increased portability.
- Boasts a 580 square inches cooking surface.
- Features a heavy-duty metal construction.
- Contains removable charcoal.
- This version isn’t large heat resistant.
- Not intended for heavy-duty cooking.
9. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
For many of us, smoking might be a pastime, for loving a fantastic meal with the family, or just for your love of food. Still, for people at the meat company or somebody who’s a professional camp chef, smoking meat is a serious business. If you’re among those, you’d wish to have a look into this counter smoker out of Dyna-Glo, which could provide you professional-grade results if you’re able to use it to its full potential.
- This smoker is appropriate Not Just for home cooking but also for professional applications making it a fantastic choice for People That are in the meat industry.
- The smoker was created with double doors that forbid the heat and smoke from penetrating the chambers.
- It’s a very high complete cooking capability of 1176 sq. inches.
- The smokestack has been outfitted with a flexible flue so you can easily control the amount of smoke and warmth you would like to snare in the room.
- The vertical layout of this smoking room provides the smoke to grow and gives you a Fantastic slow cooking Atmosphere.
- It Doesn’t Have rollers at the base, which might make it hard to move it around.
10. Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker
Aside from America’s beloved grill manufacturer, the Char-Broil American Gourmet off-set smoker is a much compact version, providing you with a total of 605 sq. inches of cooking space. As this comes with three charcoal grates, you may use this as a BBQ grill in addition to a smoker.
With the principal cooking surface measuring 30 inches by 20 inches, this is much more than big enough to grill or smoke around 16 hamburgers.
Constructed with quality construction from metal with a dark finish, this counter blower is made for reliability and endurance. The 3 bit counter smoke room allows temperature control throughout the air draft decrease, and there’s also an adjustable high damper. You may easily monitor the temperature while smoking since there’s an easy-read temperature indicator mounted at the smoker lid.
The cooking grates are coated from ceramic to prevent rusting and allow easier cleaning. The firebox includes an ash doorway to provide you simple access for ash removal after cooking is complete. This offset smoker sits on a trolley that includes two 8″ wheels for simple moving, and it also has a base wire mesh that’s excellent for smoking pellet or charcoal storage along. The side shelf produces a functional area for keeping your utensils or even space for preparing meals for grilling or smoking.
- This can be Utilized as a grill in Addition to a smoker.
- Comes with three rust-resistant and easier to wash porcelain grates that can also be Utilized as grill racks
- Provides 605 sq. inches of cooking area
- Easy for you to eliminate the ash following smoking because it’s an ash door
- Has a built-in thermometer on the lid of this smoker for temperature tracking
- Lots of storage space beneath and in the side of the smoker
- It may be on the small side for some households.
11. Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo
This is a superb smoker for anybody who’s trying to find numerous alternatives for cooking. It supplies you with a superior degree of flexibility by letting you smoke, charcoal grill gas grill your meals. This strong yet stylish toaster has three separate compartments to supply you with a whole cooking area of 1060 sq. inches.
The main compartment is for smoking your meals, using a side room for grilling. There are just two distinct chambers: wood and charcoal fuel and yet another one to get a gas burner. This usually means you cannot just choose how you would like to cook but additionally select what fuel you would like to use, based on variables such as how quickly you want the cooking needs to be performed and how yummy you need your dish to be.
The cooking chambers include their very own thermometers, while the gasoline burner includes dial controls that would enable you to easily and quickly control the warmth along with the smoke. The lids on the pockets also allow you to maintain the heat and smoke trapped indoors to boost the cooking process’s efficacy.
- This smoker Permits You to do your cooking in Many ways.
- You can grill and smoke your food using gas or charcoal.
- It provides you a large complete cooking capability of 1060 sq. inches.
- The smoke and heat Is Quite easy to control
- There are different thermometers for your cooking chambers.
- There’s a convenient cable shelf under the cooking room to maintain your grilling accessories inside your reach.
- The big size and the significant weight of the gear May Be a hassle for one individual or a small household.
12. Char-Broil Offset Smoker
Maintaining up perfect temperature is also an unquestionable necessity should you want an unbelievable taste. This current smoker’s cover-mounted check allows you to monitor the temperature within your smoker. It’s genuinely exact with simple perusing. You merely should get a look to understand the specific temperature indoors.
The smoker’s cooking office is satisfactorily huge to home enough steps of nourishments to get an acceptably anticipated party. A higher cooking load ensures better flavor since there’s more space for cigarettes to mess around.
Its entryway and grill never warm up when used so you can shield your palms and palms against the heat. The arrangement of these grips is made fast to keep them cool considerably after prolonged periods of cooking.
Its stockpiling rack is a handy place for placing extra utensils and charcoal, even though you can set cooking utensils and grilling apparatuses within an afterthought stand alone. The fashioners of the smoker comprehended the importance of different chambers during smoking. This choice makes the smoker far simpler to comprehend.
Before you begin using the Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, then it’s advised that you ought to peruse the guide for receiving appropriate directions. By way of instance, it proposes that before the primary use, you need to light a flame that can assist clear with excursion any artificial substances and toxins present within the smoker. The entryway and cooking zone could be conveniently cleaned, and some other debris could be expelled together with the inner damper.
- Extremely Inexpensive
- Simple to use and keep
- Simple to Use
- Side shelves for storage
- Additional work if the timber is Used
- Restricted cooking surface
- Not compatible with a mixture grill
13. Royal Gourmet Grill with Offset Smoker
This grill using a smoker is a 30″ grill which provides a total of 800 sq. inches of the cooking area; 438 sq. inches of the being at the primary chamber. The side box includes a 183 sq. inches capability for smoking or charcoal grilling, and there are just another 179 sq. inches of swing-away stand alone.
It has an in-built thermometer in the lid of the primary room so that you can keep your eye on the temperature and the grips are a trendy stay layout. The two dampers are flexible, and you may also change the fireman’s elevation for greater temperature control when grilling.
The cooking grates are porcelain-coated for rust and corrosion resistance, and they have the ability to keep the heat evenly throughout cooking. It’s possible to add charcoal immediately via the side entry door, which has a skillet for simple cleaning after use.
With wheels for easy transporting in addition to a wire mesh shelf at the floor where you could store your pellets and charcoal. Also, it includes a convenient side shelf where it’s possible to prepare foods and a few hanging hooks to maintain utensils clean during cooking.
- You can grill hamburgers and smoke a few briskets at the Exact Same time.
- This will provide you a total of 800 sq. inches of cooking space between the grill and counter smoker.
- The ceramic cooking grates will keep the heat evenly and resist corrosion and corrosion.
- Two adjustable dampers and flexible firepan for Superior temperature regulation
- There’s Lots of storage room on both shelf and bottom shelf.
- Side entry door and ash pan for charcoal Administration
- No Individual thermometer on the counter smoker
14. Smoke Hollow Outdoor Leisure SH36208 40-Inch Barrel
Smoke Hollow Outdoor Leisure SH36208 40-Inch BarrelThis is an outstanding smoker for virtually any passing amount. A plus to this version is that you won’t have to worry over any corrode or rust.
The grill grates are made from hardcore steel coated with a ceramic veneer, which is ideal for an amazing form.
Place your cooking apparatus on the all-inclusive work front dining table or on the bottom rack to offer you some extra space when cooking.
The cooking surface is enormous, allowing one to cook to get enormous gatherings of family members.
- Cool to contact
- Strong form
- Respectable nutrition turnout
- The barrel escapes smoke. Therefore smoking will require longer.
15. KBQ C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit
For anybody who enjoys wood-smoked meats, however, does not possess the patience to master and learn how to use a counter smoker, the KBQ BBQ Pit Smoker is still king!
A veteran US Navy Submariner produced this solidly made offset smoker with a single aim in mind – to make it simple burn wood using a fresh, blue cigarette to create smoked meats taste better and be healthier to consume. And he has done it!
It is called inverted fire technologies. It is trademarked and 100 percent easy to use. You do not need any expertise to make competition-worthy outcomes from the very first time you use this smoker.
The KBQ C-60 Smoker does produce a number of the best-smoked meats you will ever taste. Additionally, you can create yourself easily in your backyard!
- Trademarked inverted fire technology burns blue, thin smoke that is ideal for creating the best smoke bands, taste, and crispy bark you have ever tasted.
- Very Easy to Create your competition-quality meats with this unit
- Creates consistently amazing Outcomes
- 100% stainless steel construction for durability, rust-resistance and, which makes it Effortless to wash
- Thermostatically controlled cooking room for simple temperature maintenance
- Double fans to circulate warmth to get an even cook
- Large cooking capability with removable racks for flexibility
- Small footprint
- Simple to Gather
- Hand-made in the United States
- Approved for use in most barbecue competitions
- Winner of numerous awards for its innovative design and amazing Outcomes
- Even though it’s thermostatically controlled, it is not forgotten. You will need to add wood every 30 minutes to maintain the flame running.
- Need a continuous supply of logs somewhat bigger than a can of Red Bull but smaller than the typical brick
- Uses an open fire, so Has to Be treated like a campfire and retained somewhere safe away from where pets and kids can achieve it.
- Additionally requires power to run convection lovers.
- Not Acceptable for grilling
How offset smokers work
An offset smoker consists of a large chamber where the food is cooked and a more compact firebox in which you burn wood, or walnut, which is generally attached beneath and to both sides or rear of the cooking place. Thus the title “offset.”
The flame built from the offset firebox generates smoke and heat, which tastes the food and cooks it with indirect heat.
To control the degree of smoke and warmth in the middle room, cancel smokers have a chimney, usually attached at the opposite end into the firebox, a port on the firebox’s face.
The chimney and port could be opened or closed to control the air in the cooking room.
The principal chamber of a counter smoker often resembles an oil drum since that’s what they have been originally made from.
In reality, the well known Pitt’s & Spitt’s manufacturer acquired their start turning fresh oil drums to counter grills and smokers.
Who should purchase an offset smoker?
Having an enormous counter smoker is each pitmaster’s fantasy.
They’re the iconic picture of a conventional smoker, they have got the volume that you provide smoked meat to the full area, and they seem so damn cool.
Managing fire on the counter smoker
But like every piece of cooking equipment, you require a smoker that fits with your requirements, and trendy as they are, countertops smokers are not without their downsides.
Using an offset smoker
To help you get the best out of the counter smoker, we have composed a complete user manual for you to follow. However, to give you a head start, here are some solid suggestions on using a counter smoker:
1. Cook using a charcoal/wood combo
Simply since they’re occasionally known as “stick burners,” it does not mean that you can just use wood on your counter smoker.
You can see this process in action in the movie below.
Employing a mix of timber and timber will make it possible for you to acquire the smoky flavors in the timber while still using charcoal’s simpler temperature management.
To acquire your counter smoker began, filling out the firebox with completely lit coals out of a chimney starter, then occasionally adding the timber to maintain the temperature stable.
2. Use an electronic thermometer
Your counter cooker’s temperature may fluctuate up to 75°F out from 1 end of the cooking chamber to another.
To be certain that your beef is cooking equally and pre-empt any problems growing on your firebox, you will want to confirm the temperature at the ends of your smoker roughly every 20 minutes.
The best way to do this is by using an electronic thermometer inserted into holes you have drilled at the ends of the cooking room.
3. Go easy on the smoke
If you’re employing a blend of charcoal and wood to smoke, you will want to embrace a less is more’ approach to the quantity of smoke you’re producing within the cooking room.
An offset smoker can be a valuable and valuable asset to have for any family who shares the love for a fantastic barbecue and for men and women who enjoy cooked meat that is cooked. If you’re planning to obtain an offset smoker now, ensure you’ve got a crystal clear idea about exactly what purpose you’re going to use it for. And picking the best counter smoker will fit your household size, cooking tastes, and personal preference.
As soon as you’ve your offset smoker from your side, it is time to learn the craft of smoking the many yummy ribs and briskets in your backyard with your loved ones and friends!
VIDEO: How to Start and Maintain a Fire in an Offset Smoker
Last update on 2021-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API